Wednesday, March 28, 2012

linking Access table on anther server

Hi everyone,
I want to link to an Access database on the another server. The
documentation I read was that SQL will allow link access to a Microsoft
Access table on the same server.
Do I need to create an ODBC connect on the SQL server for this Access
database before linking it?
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Sincerely,
PelicanI think you have it backwards, Access will allow you to add a table that is
linked to a SQL Server table, I don't think it will work the other way
around, at least it wouldn't make sense if it did, I may be wrong.
"pelican" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I want to link to an Access database on the another server. The
> documentation I read was that SQL will allow link access to a Microsoft
> Access table on the same server.
> Do I need to create an ODBC connect on the SQL server for this Access
> database before linking it?
> Any suggestion will be appreciated.
> Sincerely,
> Pelican|||I do not know why you think it does not make sense. In my situtaion, Linux
does not have a driver to link to Microsoft Access. it only has a driver to
SQL. so I am thinking to have SQL database link to the Access table, that
way the web page can acess the SQL in order to get data from the Access tabl
e.
"Alien2_51" wrote:
> I think you have it backwards, Access will allow you to add a table that i
s
> linked to a SQL Server table, I don't think it will work the other way
> around, at least it wouldn't make sense if it did, I may be wrong.
> "pelican" wrote:
>|||In that case I'd import the table from the Access database into SQL Server,
maybe have it periodically update the table from Access using DTS and SQL
Agent... HTH
"pelican" wrote:
> I do not know why you think it does not make sense. In my situtaion, Linu
x
> does not have a driver to link to Microsoft Access. it only has a driver
to
> SQL. so I am thinking to have SQL database link to the Access table, that
> way the web page can acess the SQL in order to get data from the Access ta
ble.
> "Alien2_51" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment