Friday, March 30, 2012

Linking Oracle DB to SQL DB

Hello
Where can I find information on how to link an Oracle
database to a SQL Server. Recently I wrote a small
database in Access linking the tables I need from the an
Oracle database using ODBC drivers but had alot of
connectivity and locking problems. I was advised to link
the Oracle server to SQL Server using Access as frontend.
I am familiar with SQL Server, .net and Access but not
familiar with Oracle. I played with the Linked Server in
SQL an was able to link other SQL servers but not Oracle
giving an MSDAORA error.
I have read articles that you can't just link the Oracle
server using OLEDB or other connectivity sources you must
install a client from Oracle. I downloaded an OUIRelease
after reading the release notes I don't really know what
to do...
Any information is greatly appreciated
Frustrated
Susan
SusanHi Susan,
Try the following article for steps on how to set up a
linked server to Oracle:
HOW TO: Set Up and Troubleshoot a Linked Server to Oracle in
SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=280106
-Sue
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:29:34 -0800, "Susan"
<anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello
>Where can I find information on how to link an Oracle
>database to a SQL Server. Recently I wrote a small
>database in Access linking the tables I need from the an
>Oracle database using ODBC drivers but had alot of
>connectivity and locking problems. I was advised to link
>the Oracle server to SQL Server using Access as frontend.
>I am familiar with SQL Server, .net and Access but not
>familiar with Oracle. I played with the Linked Server in
>SQL an was able to link other SQL servers but not Oracle
>giving an MSDAORA error.
>I have read articles that you can't just link the Oracle
>server using OLEDB or other connectivity sources you must
>install a client from Oracle. I downloaded an OUIRelease
>after reading the release notes I don't really know what
>to do...
>Any information is greatly appreciated
>Frustrated
>Susan
>Susan|||Thanks for all the info
I was able to install the client with connection success..
but now I still get the error 7399 ole db
provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. I will go through
the support links you provided. If I can't connect by
tomorrow I'll post again..
Thanks again
Susan
>--Original Message--
>Hi Susan,
>Try the following article for steps on how to set up a
>linked server to Oracle:
>HOW TO: Set Up and Troubleshoot a Linked Server to Oracle
in
>SQL Server
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=280106
>-Sue
>On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:29:34 -0800, "Susan"
><anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
link
frontend.
in
must
OUIRelease
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment