Friday, March 30, 2012

Linking Server to a different Domain

Hi
I am trying to create a Linked Server to SQL Server but residing in a different domain. It is giving me a error message that It does not recognize this SQL Server. Please let me know how should create this. Any help is greatly appreciated
ThankHi Sal
Can you access the other server via the query analyzer usingSQL Server
authentication?
-Paritosh
"Sal" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7158838B-EBD4-4B90-ACB2-47E443DEEAE2@.microsoft.com...
> Hi:
> I am trying to create a Linked Server to SQL Server but residing in a
different domain. It is giving me a error message that It does not
recognize this SQL Server. Please let me know how should create this. Any
help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
>|||Sal,
you probably need to add an entry into your hosts file. Once it's added,
test you can ping the servername. Also, you'll need to use SQL Server logins
or pass-through authentication (or the windows guest login).
HTH,
Paul Ibison|||Yes. I acn connect with query analyzer.|||On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:31:04 -0700, Sal
<anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hi:
>I am trying to create a Linked Server to SQL Server but residing in a different domain.
>It is giving me a error message that It does not recognize this SQL Server.
>Please let me know how should create this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
Mapping a drive from the one Server to the other using DOMAIN1\USER1
syntax often gets around the fact the user accounts on the two
machines are in different domains as does making a user with the same
name and password in both domains.
C|||I was able to Create Linked Server by creating an ODBC on the server and then using that ODBC to create Linked Server as Data Source but It would not allow me to create Linked Server by specifying the SQL Server Name. It somehow does not recognize the SQL Server on a different server.
For now I got to work by using the ODBC as data source for Linked Server but if you were able to create by just specifying the sql server name, please let me know.
Thank
Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment