Friday, March 30, 2012

Linking Server to a different Domain

Hi:
I am trying to create a Linked Server to SQL Server but residing in a differ
ent domain. It is giving me a error message that It does not recognize this
SQL Server. Please let me know how should create this. Any help is greatl
y appreciated.
ThanksHi Sal
Can you access the other server via the query analyzer usingSQL Server
authentication?
-Paritosh
"Sal" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7158838B-EBD4-4B90-ACB2-47E443DEEAE2@.microsoft.com...
> Hi:
> I am trying to create a Linked Server to SQL Server but residing in a
different domain. It is giving me a error message that It does not
recognize this SQL Server. Please let me know how should create this. Any
help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
>|||Sal,
you probably need to add an entry into your hosts file. Once it's added,
test you can ping the servername. Also, you'll need to use SQL Server logins
or pass-through authentication (or the windows guest login).
HTH,
Paul Ibison|||Yes. I acn connect with query analyzer.|||On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:31:04 -0700, Sal
<anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>I am trying to create a Linked Server to SQL Server but residing in a diffe
rent domain.
>It is giving me a error message that It does not recognize this SQL Server.
>Please let me know how should create this. Any help is greatly appreciated
.
>
Mapping a drive from the one Server to the other using DOMAIN1\USER1
syntax often gets around the fact the user accounts on the two
machines are in different domains as does making a user with the same
name and password in both domains.
C|||I was able to Create Linked Server by creating an ODBC on the server and the
n using that ODBC to create Linked Server as Data Source but It would not al
low me to create Linked Server by specifying the SQL Server Name. It someho
w does not recognize the SQ
L Server on a different server.
For now I got to work by using the ODBC as data source for Linked Server but
if you were able to create by just specifying the sql server name, please l
et me know.
Thanks
Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment