Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Linking access tables to SQL

Hello,
I'm familiar with using linked tables in MS Access to access SQL data, but
can I do the reverse? Use SQL to access/query an Access 2003 database via a
linked table in on the SQL server? Reasong being I'd like to utilize a SQL
sproc against the access database and I am unable to make modifications to
the access .mdb file
Thanks
KevinThe closest thing from the SQL Server end would be setting
up a linked server to the Access mdb file. It's not the same
as linked tables in Access but it's a bit similar. You
essentially create a connection to the mdb file that allows
you to access the tables in the mdb through four part names
or openquery. Look up Linked Servers in SQL Server Books
Online. There is a help topic specific to Access - OLE DB
Provider for Jet.
-Sue
On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:37:01 -0700, Kevinst
<Kevinst@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm familiar with using linked tables in MS Access to access SQL data, but
>can I do the reverse? Use SQL to access/query an Access 2003 database via
a
>linked table in on the SQL server? Reasong being I'd like to utilize a SQL
>sproc against the access database and I am unable to make modifications to
>the access .mdb file
>Thanks
>Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment