Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Linking a SQL Server 2000 DB to 2005

I am trying to link an existing SQL 2000 server to a new 2005 box, but for some reason it will not link. I tried another 2000 server and that one worked perfectly well.

When I link it and perform a simple query...
select a, b from [server1].[db1].[dbo].tablec

I receive a 7314 message with text "OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "server1" does not contain the table "].[db1].[dbo].tablec". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table.

What's odd is that I was able to link the problematic server to other SQL 2000 servers with no previous issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
SteveHiya Steve...

Let me start by asking the obvious...have you verified that the table [server1].[db1].[dbo].tablec actually exists on the 2005 server? Check for typing errors here, is what I am getting at.

Also, in Enterprise manager, can you see the target table when you expand the linked server icon and click on the "Tables" icon?

Have you verified that the login information you set up when you created the linked server DOES have permissions on the target database/table?|||Paul,
The table that I'm trying to query is on the SQL 2000 server. I'm running the query from the 2005 box. I probably wrote my initial post incorrectly. But, to answer your question, the table does exist.

The login information that I provided on the 2005 server does have permissions on the target database/table.

Not to sound dumb, but can you view the tables on the linked server from 2005 like you could in 2000?

Thanks for the response,
Steve|||Now I'm outta my league, Steve. Done lots of linking to remote servers/databases by various means, but only on SQL Server 2000.

2005 is still sitting in my desk drawer being ignored until the boss decides other have bled enough against the leading edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment