Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Linking between two databases

Is it posable to link between two diferent Databases? I am putting membership on my visual studios website which by default builds it's own database. I am then building a database for our products and services. I don't want to have to recreate all the client inforation that I already have in the default member database. But I don't think I want to put all the other info in the membershipp database.

Thanks for any help and advice

Ed

Hi,

you can either access your database by using three part names:

SELECT * FROM Database.Schema.ObjectName [Schema is called owner in SQL Server 2000]

or (but this implies the above one) creating view based on the table and syntax information above.

You have to keep in mind that you have to deal with the security in any way. There is a feature called crossdatabase ownership chain which would apply if activated to grant the user the rights in the destination database if the owner is the same across the databases and he has access in the current database to the object (like a view).

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment