Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Linking a report to a dataset

I copy a report by viewing the code and pasting into a new report. The
problem is that the fields do not display for expressions etc. It gives the
following error "report item not linked to a dataset". How do I link the
report to a dataset so I can see the list of available dataset fields?
ThanksCopy and paste the report instead. Right mouse click on report, copy. Right
mouse click on project (not report folder) and paste. Then rename to
whatever you want. That gets the whole report including the dataset.
Not very discoverable. I would expect to be able to paste into the reports
folder.
Bruce L-C
"Ed Willis" <ed_willis@.acsi.orgnospam> wrote in message
news:%23p5b5pcmEHA.952@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I copy a report by viewing the code and pasting into a new report. The
> problem is that the fields do not display for expressions etc. It gives
the
> following error "report item not linked to a dataset". How do I link the
> report to a dataset so I can see the list of available dataset fields?
> Thanks
>|||Is there anyway to link the report to a dataset if I did it the other way?
"Bruce Loehle-Conger" <bruce_lcNOSPAM@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OXYb8HdmEHA.1672@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Copy and paste the report instead. Right mouse click on report, copy.
> Right
> mouse click on project (not report folder) and paste. Then rename to
> whatever you want. That gets the whole report including the dataset.
> Not very discoverable. I would expect to be able to paste into the reports
> folder.
> Bruce L-C
> "Ed Willis" <ed_willis@.acsi.orgnospam> wrote in message
> news:%23p5b5pcmEHA.952@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> I copy a report by viewing the code and pasting into a new report. The
>> problem is that the fields do not display for expressions etc. It gives
> the
>> following error "report item not linked to a dataset". How do I link the
>> report to a dataset so I can see the list of available dataset fields?
>> Thanks
>>
>|||Yes, create a dataset (I have to do this anytime I use the wizard because I
don't like the name the wizard gives and I change the name of the dataset).
Then click on the table/matrix, whatever the dataset is bound to,
properties, datasetname.
Bruce L-C
"Ed Willis" <ed_willis@.acsi.orgnospam> wrote in message
news:ebmM3HmmEHA.392@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Is there anyway to link the report to a dataset if I did it the other way?
> "Bruce Loehle-Conger" <bruce_lcNOSPAM@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OXYb8HdmEHA.1672@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Copy and paste the report instead. Right mouse click on report, copy.
> > Right
> > mouse click on project (not report folder) and paste. Then rename to
> > whatever you want. That gets the whole report including the dataset.
> >
> > Not very discoverable. I would expect to be able to paste into the
reports
> > folder.
> >
> > Bruce L-C
> >
> > "Ed Willis" <ed_willis@.acsi.orgnospam> wrote in message
> > news:%23p5b5pcmEHA.952@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> I copy a report by viewing the code and pasting into a new report. The
> >> problem is that the fields do not display for expressions etc. It gives
> > the
> >> following error "report item not linked to a dataset". How do I link
the
> >> report to a dataset so I can see the list of available dataset fields?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment